Sunday, May 27, 2012

Spiced Cultured Carrots Using the Pickl-it

It's Cultured Mondays and this week I am happy to feature my first attempt at fermenting using my pickl-it jars.  (I apologize for any blurriness to the pictures as we are having lens issues with my camera.)


I found these jars fairly easy to use and have ordered a few more sizes to try (I have 2 of the 1 1/2 liter size).  I am looking forward to sampling the results in a few days.


My recipe is very easy and quick to make.  This is enough for the two 1 1/2 liter pickl- it jars.

*Approximately 5 pounds of carrots, peeled, washed, and grated
*2% saline solution (4 cups of  filtered water and 19g of pink salt)
*4 cinnamon sticks
*20 cardamon pods
*1/2 cup whey

Press the carrots firmly into your jar.  Pour in your saline solution until it reaches the top of the carrots.  Add your whey, cinnamon sticks, and cardamon pods.  Assemble the jars and airlocks as instructed on the pickl-it website.  Place in a cool, dark place for 3-4 days.  Enjoy!



(Featured on the Healthy Home Economist, Real Food Forager, Cooking Traditional Foods)

3 comments:

  1. I love the spice combination in this recipe! I cant wait to try it!

    I featured this post on my Sunday Link Love!!
    http://ournourishingjourney.com/2012/05/28/link-love-4/http://ournourishingjourney.com/2012/05/28/link-love-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for featuring this recipe!

      Delete
  2. Ooooohhhhh.....this looks so amazing! Love the spice blend! I know what I am making next!

    ReplyDelete