Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chicken and Arsenic

I'm pretty passionate about organic food; keeping what's on my table as organic as possible.  When I read articles like the one I have linked in this post, I hope you can see why I'm so passionate about organic food, and staying informed.  The FDA has FINALLY admitted that the product Roxasone, which is a Pfizer product,  that is fed to conventional chickens, is laced with arsenic.  Apparently, this type of feed has been given to chicken for 60 years now.  And, sadly, the poop from these chickens is then fed to conventional cows - so you are getting it in your conventional beef supply, too!

Photo credit: sodahead.com


The sad reality is that the FDA is not protecting our food sources.  There are too many special interest groups involved at this point.  I think the FDA was started with good intentions, but those now seem to be long gone.  It's really up to you now to protect yourself, your family, and your food sources.  I love seeing the increase of small local organic farms.  Let's do what we can to support them and provide healthier food sources for ourselves and our children.

A great resource about eating whole, organic foods on a budget is my sister's site: Whole Foods on a Budget.  Check out her blog for all kinds of budget friendly ways to incorporate organically raised meats into your diet.


If you have a minute, read this short article.






Photo Credit: Motherearthnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment