Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Traveling and Whole Foods

We had a lovely time this past week at Lake Tahoe.  So peaceful and restful, even with a two year old! I have to highly recommend The Hyatt Regency Resort and Spa at Lake Tahoe!  We were so pleased with our stay there.

I thought I would take the next few days to do a few posts about traveling and eating "whole foods" as well as the supplements I brought along so we could enjoy a healthy and happy trip, and my experience with cloth diapering on the road.

I learned a lot myself, traveling and trying to bring some healthy whole foods along so that we were not  eating out for every meal.  Breakfast was covered with the resort, so I was focusing on options for snacks, lunch, and dinner.  We had no fridge and I was only able to bring a small ice chest along.  I also like to bring a zero water filter when we travel so that we are having as clean as possible water source.


It took some creative thinking to come up with some fun food options, some which which did not need refrigeration, was toddler friendly, and was not very sugary.

Here is a list of what I brought for our trip:

*Homemade trail mix with fruit I had dried and nuts I had soaked and some chocolate chips thrown in for fun!

*Organic cold cuts with fun organic rolls, loaf of bread, tortillas for wraps, and pesto for sandwich spread.

*Lots of veggies cut up and ready to dip in some homemade dip and homemade hummus.  I used carrots, cucumbers, celery, zucchini, radishes and also bought some organic chips.  My two year old loved the dipping options and it was a great way to get some good veggies into him.


*Homemade scones


*Apples, oranges, and grapefruits

*Grain free peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

*Zero water pitcher for filtering water

*Homemade pizza for the trip up to Tahoe

*Homemade egg "mcmuffins" for our early morning the day we left

Having these food options was wonderful and we were able to consume a good amount of healthy food while still enjoying our times of eating out.  Now that we eat organic whole foods in our home, eating too much convention food is unbalancing for us.  I found that this seemed to be a good mix for us.






No comments:

Post a Comment