Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cultured Mondays - Super Easy Cultured Green Beans

I'm sure that many of you are enjoying an abundance of green beans this summer.  We love green beans in this house and I had a bunch from the co-op that I wanted to culture very quickly this past week.

I washed and removed the stems from my green beans.  I used the 1 1/2 liter size pickl-it jar and packed it with the green beans until it reached the shoulder (my guess is between 1-2 pounds of green beans).  I then placed the glass dunker on top to help keep the beans under the brine and poured a 2% salt brine over the beans (you can use this guide for figuring out salt brine).  And that was it!  I let them sit out for 3 days in my dark pantry where it is a bit cooler than the rest of the house (ideal fermenting temp is around 70 degrees).

These came out delicious and quite crispy.  These can be eaten right out of the jar, dipped in hummus, or chopped up in a salad for just a few ideas.  I have a feeling they won't last long in our house!

(Featured on Healthy Home Economist)

No comments:

Post a Comment