Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Excellent Cherry Pitter

Yup it's summer!  And one thing we love in this house is cherries!  I love cherries, but I usually dread the thought of de-pitting my cherries.  In the past it has been a painfully slow and messy job and has deterred me from buying all the cherries I would like to buy.

But, a few weeks ago, I was thumbing through the Lehman's Catalog (love all the fun things in there!) and found this cherry pitter.  At first, I was a bit put off by the price, but finally decided to order it and give it a try.


I'm so glad that I did!  I was able to whip through a few pounds of cherries in no time.  It did take a little getting used to, and it was a little loud, but it worked quite well.  By the end, I was able to just pour the cherries into the hopper rather than doing them one at a time.  It also has a decent splash guard so my area was kept quite clean.   And NO PINK HANDS!  Yay!

As far as I could tell, it got all the pits out.  I have not yet eaten all the cherries I pitted, but the ones that I sampled were pit free.

**UPDATE - There were a few missed pits; 2 that I found in about 3 pounds of cherries.  I'm still happy with the pitter.  Even professionally pitted cherries end up with a few pits, so this pitter is a keeper for me.**

(Featured on GNOWFGLINS, The Nourishing Gourmet)

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of cherry pitters, so this is SO cool to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete