Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cultured Mondays - Cultured White Peaches




*Update*  These cultured quite quickly for me and I put them in the fridge after just two days.  They were fizzing away like crazy - looked like soda in a bottle!  Thankfully, I had them in my pickl-it so there was no explosion.  They taste great - they lost a lot of sweetness, but have a nice white peach flavor.  My toddler is a big fan!  This is a great way to get fruit in your kids without all the sugar.  While it's not as sweet, it's fun for kids to eat because of the fizz.


I love this time of year!  There is SO much delicious fruit in season and I enjoy experimenting, coming up with creative ways to eat all the different kinds of fruit from the farmer's market.

White peaches are some of my absolute favorites, so I am curious to see how they culture.  I just used cinnamon sticks to lightly flavor this ferment, as the white peach flavor is so delicate that I did not want to overpower the peaches with spices.

This recipe is very simple and easy to make.

*4 white peaches
*4 cinnamon sticks
*1/4 cup whey
*2% saline solution (10g of salt to 2 cups water)

Combine all ingredients and place in 1 liter pickl-it jar, leaving at least 1 inch headspace.  Allow to sit for 3-5 days in a dark place.  I use my kitchen cabinet.  The ideal fermenting temp is 70 degrees, so if it is cooler, it will take longer, if warmer, a shorter period of time.

If you are not using a pickl-it jar, then you may need to increase the whey and make a stronger salt solution.  I highly recommend buying a pickl-it jar(s) for fruit ferments, as you can use a lower saline solution, which is nice for fruits, especially ones like peaches.  The pickl-it allows anaerobic fermenting, which means less bacteria for the probiotics to compete with, thus the lower saline solution.

I'm still a bit new to pickl-it, but so far, love their jars!  I just bought 2 of their 5 liter sized jars and look forward to whipping up some large batches of pickles and sauerkraut in the upcoming weeks.

Featured on Natural Mother's Network, Healthy Home Economist)

No comments:

Post a Comment