Friday, April 13, 2012

Whole Foods Friday: Herb Roasted Chicken


I have been so thrilled to find my local organic chicken farmer.  I am able to buy my chickens fresh, not frozen, and butchered a day or two before I pick them up at my local farmer's market.  For you San Diego locals, the chicken farm is Living Earth Ranch.  The taste is amazing!

This is a very easy recipe, and one of my favorite "go to" meals.

Simply place your chicken in a large dutch oven.  Place a few sprigs of rosemary on the bird, along with 5-6 sage leaves.  Take one orange or lemon and squeeze the juice over the bird, then place the rind inside the cavity.  Sprinkle generously with sea salt.  If you like, you can rub butter over the skin of the bird before you place your herbs and salt.  Place your cover on your dutch oven.

This bird was about 6 pounds and I baked it at 325 for 2 1/2 hours; you can try a little less time, just be sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, which should be around 165 degrees.  I have found that my birds come out more juicy and tender when baked at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time.  Every 20 minutes or so, you can pour the juices from the bottom of the pot up over your bird to help keep the meat moist.  Don't forget to save the carcass for making your bone broth!

1 comment:

  1. Local chicken farmer! Amazing. My daughter lives in New York and that is her big complaint, that the Farmer's Markets don't have any local, organic, free range chickens there! Great post.

    -Paula
    http://www.zenhealthwithpaula.com/

    ReplyDelete