Monday, January 30, 2012

Dried Apples


I tried my hand at drying apples for the first time this past weekend.  I bought an Excalibur square dehydrator last year and have mainly used it for drying nuts, making yogurt and drying a big batch of tomatoes last year.  We have had a lot of apples coming through the co-op lately and I was tired of making applesauce, as good as it is!  I'm finding that drying fruits and vegetables, especially "seconds" is going to be a great way to save money and make use of what is in season.  Drying foods is also an excellent way to retain many of their healthy nutrients, which processes like canning destroy.

These are pink lady apples and they came out SO yummy.  I used a mandoline slicer to make my slices nice and even (that slicer was a life saver last year when I dried about 40 pounds of "seconds" tomatoes).  These were quick to make and a great snack to have around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment