Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cultured (Lacto-fermented) Mustard

It's Monday again, and here is another cultured recipe!  This is cultured (or lacto-fermented) mustard.  It's so easy to make and SO yummy!  This was a huge hit with the hubby, especially when served on bratwurst.  We will never go back to store bought mustard again, especially since this is so inexpensive to make.

Adding ingredients to make my mustard
 I used this recipe that I found on the GNOWFGLINS website.  The only difference is in red print and it is that I added mustard seeds.


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup mustard powder
  • 3 tablespoons whey (OR whey from coconut milk kefir OR 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar*)
  • 2 tablespoons water (if using acv, use 3 tablespoons water)
  • 3 tablespoons dried dill –OR– 5 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 3 to 5 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
(I added to this 2 Tbsp each of yellow and brown mustard seeds, and I used yogurt whey so this would be a fermented recipe.)

Add ingredients to a bowl. Stir well. Pour mustard into a jar. Cover tightly and leave on the counter for three days before moving it to the refrigerator. Enjoy!
*If using apple cider vinegar, this will not be lacto-fermented. Leave it out at room temperature for a few hours or a day, then move it to the refrigerator.
Completed mustard, ready to sit!
(Featured on The Healthy Home Economist, You are Talking Too Much, 11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven, My Sweet and Savory, So Very Creative, Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms, Delightfully Dowling, DIY Home Sweet Home, Home Savvy A-Z, Sumo Sweet Stuff, Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, 11th Heaven's Homemaking Haven, Homestead Revival, The Gunny Sack, New Life on a Homestead, Ruth's Real Food, Marvelously Messy, Permanent Posies, All the Small Stuff, Real Food Forager, Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, From Mess Hall to Bistro, Hope Studios, TIme Warp WIfe Far Above Rubies, Whole New Mom, Mandy's Recipe Box, Not Just a Housewife, Rook #17, 21st Century Housewife, Beyond the Peel, We Are That Family, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Frugally Sustainable, Savvy Southern Style, The King's Court IV, This Chick Cooks, Take it From Me, Ginger Snap Crafts, Wildcrafting Wednesdays, Gluten Free Pantry, Premeditated Leftovers, Frugal Follies, Delightful Order, Somewhat Simple, Momnivore's Delimma, Miz Helen's Country Cottage, A Little Nosh, Tales from Blogerittasville, It's a KeeperA Glimpse Inside, RaeGunWearThe Nourishing Gourmet, Hear the Bells, Happy Hour Projects, Whipperberry,Comfy in the Kitchen, Real Food Whole Health, Real Food Freaks , Jennifer Cooks, Creation Corner, Bacon Time , Jo's Health Corner, FIngerprints on the Fridge, Allergy Free Vintage Cooking, Fitness Friday, Food Renegade, These Peas Taste Funny)

23 comments:

  1. Oooh, I must give this a try! My New Year goal is to try to buy less and make more. If I use the apple cider vinegar, is it ready after a day to eat? Do you know how long it stores in the fridge? Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love anything Mustard...can't wait to dry this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love this. I will definitely have to give this a try. I am trying to include more fermented foods and this is such an easy substitution into our every day lives. Lovely recipe.

    I'm hosting Whole Food Wednesdays at beyondthepeel.net and it would be great if you swung by and shared! Have a great rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I make my own mayonnaise, but I've never tried making my own mustard. This recipe is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made my won mustard before, but this recipe is really making me want to try. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is a huge mustard fan! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this. I hope to try it REAL soon!

    Blessings<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how col - have wondered and wondereda bout this - thanks for making it easy!
    Blessings!
    http://bit.ly/wyGIcY

    ReplyDelete
  10. This mustard is surprisingly smooth as is. If you like it smoother, I'm sure you could puree it with just a bit of water. It has a little kick, but not bad. If you like less spicy, leave out the brown mustard seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow I've never tried anything like this before I hope you'll link this up at my What We Wore and Made Party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very interesting. I've never thought about making my own mustard, but think I will try this recipe. Thanks for sharing it at Allergy-Free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious and your presentation is beautiful. Thank you so much for linking your mustard up to Savvy HomeMade Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome. I had no idea how to make that! Thanks for sharing that information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the most interesting process to observe. I can't wait to make this Mustard. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a wonderful week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe how easy this looks. Would love it if you shared it at our Link It Up Thursday party. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com/2012/01/link-it-up-thursday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a very flavourful mustard, and I love how colourful it looks in the jar! It's definitely a great recipe for anyone looking to increase their intake of fermented foods. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I featured your post on Real Food 101!

    Ruth @ Ruth's Real Food

    ReplyDelete
  19. WoW!! That looks soooo good!! I think I have everything to make that right now! (But only one kind of mustard seed). I found that ordering dry mustard (ground) and mustard seeds is so much more inexpensive when buying in bulk. I'm sure you already do that, but readers may not realize that's where the big savings comes in!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to try this. I get whey from my source for raw goats milk. She makes cheese with the goats milk and always has a lot of whey to share. Can this be used to lacto ferment?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, goats whey can be used - I have used that before, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Where do you get the whey from??? Can I make it myself??

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can make whey yourself. Just get some yogurt or kefir and strain it through a very fine mesh strainer. The part that comes through should be a clearish liquid.

    ReplyDelete