Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Postpartum Nutrient Herbs

I'm enjoying my little new one so much!  She is a sweet, precious little girl, and sure keeps her mama busy!  I am also enjoying all the herbal teas I made while I was still pregnant to have for postpartum recovery time.  I simply made huge jars of the dried blends, where I can easily measure out the day's dose and don't have to go through the trouble of making a daily blend.

I made a number of different blends and have been using a variety of herbs, but the nutrient herbs are some of my favorites.  They may not taste the best (blending with a little bit of mint can help the taste factor), but I know that they are providing extra vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are critical for postpartum recovery and breast milk production.

I have been taking my nutrient herbs in tea form, making an infusion (you can read about making infusion in my post HERE.)  This is a quick and easy way to enjoy these herbs.  I typically make the days dose in the morning and sip on it all day long.  I drink my herbal teas unsweetened, but I know others who enjoy their teas with a little raw honey.

Oat Straw:
     This is one of my favorite nutrient herbs because not only does it contain minerals like calcium and magnesium, it is a nervine, which means it is a tonic for the nervous system.  Great for the stresses of caring for a new little one.  It is also high in vitamin A, silicon, and chromium.  It is nourishing to the hair and helps to promote restful sleep.  It also nourished the endocrine and circulatory systems, and has many other benefits.

Nettle:
      This amazing herb has a huge variety of health promoting components.  It is very rich in many vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, vitamin C, B vitamins and vitamin K.  Nettles are also a good source of amino acids and carotenoids.  It can help with anemia and boost breast milk production.  Among it's many other health benefits, it is also a cleansing herb and helps to get rid of metabolic wastes.


Alfalfa:
     Alfalfa is another great source for vitamins and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, some trace elements, and vitamins A, E, and K.  It can help to flush out toxins and get rid of water retention.  It has many more benefits, but those are a few of my favorites.

Buying these herbs in bulk is a cost effective way of obtaining these herbs.  One of my favorite sources is Mountain Rose Herbs, where I buy most of my herbs.  I have a link listed on the right side of my blog if you want to take a peek.

As with all herbs, be sure to consult with your medical practitioner before adding them to your diet.


(This is an affiliate post.  Using my link will not change your price, but will give me a small commission and is a way to help support this blog.  Thank you!).   




No comments:

Post a Comment