Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cultured Mondays - Cultured Watermelon Rind

I found this recipe for cultured watermelon rind from my fellow Nourished Living Network blogger, Melanie, at PickleMeToo.  Since we love watermelon so much in this house, I just had to give this one a try.  I followed her recipe, except that I had enough rind to fill a 5 liter Pickl-it and I added about 1 inch of fresh ginger root, a couple of cinnamon sticks and 10-15 cloves.


This came out so yummy and my toddler and husband both liked them.  These are not sweet, but have a salty, spicy tang to them.  Nice and refreshing snack on a hot day.  The brine is delicious and healthy to drink.  If you are new to fermenting in a Pickl-it or new to fermenting in general, I would recommend starting slowly with how much brine you drink.  A 1/4 cup serving for the day would be a good place to start and give your gut some time to get used to the new good bacteria you are introducing to it.

This is a great way to get some bang for your buck from your watermelons!  I do highly recommend that you use organic watermelons.

(Featured on The Healthy Home Economist, Homestead Revival, Real Food Freaks, GNOWFGLINS, The Nourishing Gourmet)

1 comment: