Friday, December 9, 2011

Lemon Lime Simple Syrup

I posted a few days ago about making herbal simple syrups.  I have tried a few and love them!  This morning I am using my lemon lime simple syrup to make a hot ginger lemon tea for my family.  Here are the proportions I used to make my syrup.  This is a loose recipe and can be easily adapted to meet your particular taste.  If you like a deep lemon/lime flavor, simmer for more than 20 minutes, but keep tasting every 5 minutes as the flavor will deepen quickly.  For a lighter flavor, simmer for 15-20 minutes.

1 cup water
1 1/2 cups sucanat
9 limes
1 large lemon

Cut each lemon and lime in half.  Given each one a good squeeze into your double broiler before placing the fruit in it.  After all the fruit is in the double broiler, add the sucanat and water.  Mix well, pressing the fruit if needed.  The water should just about cover the fruit.  Simmer on medium heat until desired taste produced.

Enjoy!  Hot tea is a wonderful way to use this syrup.  Add your herbs of choice and then flavor with your syrup.  This morning we are enjoying lemon balm, lemon grass, and a pinch of echinacea, along with some powdered ginger in our tea blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment